Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I got to teach!


This past weekend, I had the pleasure of being invited to teach at Arizona's only Gammill dealership. I have taught quilting classes before, but never on the longarm. And, of course, I drive a Gammill. (That elicited giggles in class, the concept that I “drive” a longarm.)



I wanted to teach Free Motion Feathers, as I know that feathers are something many people stress over. First, I created a sample for the shop to hang to advertise the classes. My sample is on satin (if you have followed me for any amount of time, you know that I LOVE quilting on satin!) and shows just a sampling of the feathers that I intended to demonstrate.



 



There are a zillion ways to quilt feathers. They can be plain or fancy, elegant or whimsical, structured or fancy-free. The students were eager and asked lots of great questions.



 



I quilted out some simple feathers, embellished feathers, feathered swags and feathered hearts, feathered wreaths and feather borders. Finally, the elegant Victorian feather, which curls up and over and around to fill any type of space.



 



And, I want to give a big “shout out” to my unofficial Rim Country fan club – both sessions contained friends from my guild and other local quilting groups. Thanks for your support, my quilty friends!



I have to say, I can't wait to do it again! In a couple of months, I will be teaching a full-day, hands-on class. It will be great to lead them in stitching out their own beautiful feathers!



“Ring the bells that still can ring,

forget your perfect offering.,

There is a crack in everything;

that's how the light gets in.”



Leonard Cohen










No comments:

Post a Comment