Thursday, August 21, 2014

He's a Humdinger!




This piece is a different Toni Whitney design than I have quilted before. Up until now, it has all been animals with fur; Elk, Bear, Wolf. I have a dog and her fur shows me how the stitches should lie around the eyes, face and body to simulate fur growth.



But, this is my first bird, and he is a stunner! The colors just ring with life!

So, the first thing I did was go to my trusted Google image search and typed in hummingbirds. Wow, a plethora of pretty birds! A closeup of a hummer's head gave me the look of the feathers as they go over the bird's forehead. I was pretty sure I could create the look of real feathers on the wings and tail.




Then, another search for flower closeups. I wanted to see how the flower's veining looked. Sigh, what did I ever do before Google search?!!!





And, of course, the background fill just had to be...wait for it...feathers!


Believe in yourself and all that you are.
Know that there is something inside you

that is greater than any obstacle.

No comments:

Post a Comment