Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tequila Sunset



I took a little time to finish my feather sampler. I found a kit called Crescendo by Toadusew Creative Concepts which uses a wonderful gradated fabric by Caryl Bryer Fallert Gentry. It was hanging in the vendor's booth, quilted with glorious feathers in gold thread. This is the full piece.



My feather plan is quite a bit different, in that I started with overlapping circles to break up the space.



And, then I started filling everything in with lots of feather styles. I wanted a more contemporary kind of wholecloth quilt. And, while lots of wholecloth quilts have feathers spilling out of quilted urns, I decided to pour them out of a pitcher.



I turned one of the circles into a sunflower with curved crosshatching. And, there is a peacock feather in the space where the circles overlap. And, of course, one must have a feathered heart and some continuous curve gridwork.



Then, more filling of the space. I tried to use a variety of quilting density for variety, some large and loopy, others tightly done.




It's a funny thing about life;
if you refuse to accept anything but the best,
you very often get it.

Somerset Maugham

No comments:

Post a Comment