Every quilt is a challenge, some much more than others. This piece was on my design wall for 3 months before I had a glimmer of how to quilt it. And, here's why: The heart shape is made up of many, tiny flowers, leaves, buds and tendrils that seem to float on the background. Some of the embroidery was done with a single thread!
I figured I had two options. Plan A would be to outline each and every little piece. I knew I had to come up with a Plan B!
And, that's what took so much time...what would be Plan B? I finally decided to quilt the heart shape as a single unit, even though it is made up of many parts. So, I ran a quilt line ¼ inch from the pieces, following around the heart. Then, the same thing on the interior of the heart.
McTavishing fills the background. But, that's a lot of space at the bottom, on either side of the heart's point. So, I found a little heart-shaped scroll from one of Karen McTavish's books to help fill the space, and tie into the heart theme.
My customer thought Victorian feathers would look nice in the border, and she was right! This piece is called Ladybug Labyrinth and there really is a ladybug in there, but you have to look long and hard as it is so tiny. I'm sorry you can't see it in these pictures.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!